Ever had to squint your eyes from bright glare or struggle to maintain a comfortable temperature in a sunny room? How about wanting some additional privacy or security from a glass surface? If so, you may have thought about a product that might be applied to your windows to solve this issue. However, if you do even a quick Google search, you may end up more confused. What’s the difference between “window tint” and “window film” for your windows, and which is the right product to solve your issue? This article was written to help clear up this confusion and understand whether a window film or window tint might be a good solution for you.
Window Tint vs Window Film
First, it is understandable that you might be confused. Even within the industry, these terms are often used interchangeably. However, newer technology actually dictates that it makes sense to differentiate between a “window tint” and a “window film”. Both window films and window tint are an alteration of existing windows and are applied to the window in place in the home or commercial space. There are a huge variety of these applied films. Some can be used to change the color or visible light transmission through the glass. We would typically refer to these as a window tint because they, to varying degrees, darken the glass to which they are applied. However, there are many other films that offer other benefits that do not entail darkening the glass at all. We would refer to these other products as window films.
So, depending on your needs, tastes and requirements, you might utilize a window tint or a window film. The proper thing to focus on would be the benefits these films provide. Once you determine what you need to accomplish, the proper product can be selected. Below you will find some of the more prominent benefits of window film and window tint.
Primary Benefits of Window Film / Window Tint
- Reduce Glare – Applying tint to your home or commercial windows can result in blocking significant amount of the sun’s glare from passing through the glass.
- Protect Furnishings – The sun’s UV rays penetrate through windows of your space. With prolonged exposure, furnishings, carpet, rugs and upholstery can become faded and damaged. Window films and window tint offers a great solution for fading issue as it typically blocks 99% of the UV while still allowing you to enjoy your windows.
- Energy Savings – Window film and tint can act as a window insulator keeping heat out in the Summer and retaining heat in the Winter. This can help decrease utility bills by reducing how hard heating and air conditioning systems need to work to keep the space comfortable.
- Increase Privacy – Window films can be used strategically throughout a space to offer additional privacy, add decor, integrate company branding or create visual breaks on any glass surfaces.
- Enhance Safety – Accidents happen and a window can be broken. When this happens with a typical window, the glass breaks in a way that can be dangerous. Safety window films can keep the broken glass in place and reduce the danger.
- Improve Security – Security window films exists that can provide some of the other benefits listed and make uninvited entry into the space more difficult. This makes these types of films a perfect compliment to a security system.
- Affordable Alternative to Window Replacement – At some point nearly any window may need to be replaced, but by using window films you may be able to significantly extend the useful life of existing windows while achieving the benefits you desire. Having a professionally installed tint or film applied is much less costly and far less disruptive to your space than window replacement.
If you would like more information or have any questions about these films, contact us at (517) 925-8745 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to provide a free, no obligation consultation and estimate of implementing these solutions in your Lansing, Michigan space.